Nelson branch of New Zealand Deerstalkers’ Association owns Red Deer Lodge located at St Arnaud, close to Lake Rotoiti and it is available for public hire.
The Lodge can accommodate 28 guests in 5 bunkrooms and has a spacious kitchen and communal lounge with an impressive riverstone fireplace. The facilities are well suited for training courses, youth groups or a base for tramping & hunting trips. It has been used by school groups, church groups, family reunions and the occasional wedding over the years.
Originally built by NZDA members in the mid 1960’s with volunteer labour and donated materials, the Lodge is situated within Nelson Lakes National Park – virtually across the road from the park headquarters.
This area has always provided good hunting and some of New Zealand’s great deerstalkers were actively involved with the Lodge construction, including Newton McConnochie, Bert Spiers, Max Curtis, Charlie Shuttleworth. Trophies taken by some of these notable hunters are displayed in the lounge
For more information feel free to contract the accommodation manager Jen [email protected]
If you are an NZDA member please include this in the comment box on the booking site.
From $250 (first 10 people) per night
- Each extra adult $25 per night
- Each extra child $15 per night
- $25 Admin booking fee per stay
- Cleaning deposit of $150 payable on booking. You have the choice to have us clean, or you clean yourself. If you choose to clean and it is left tidy, we will reimburse the cleaning deposit.
Sleeping 28 people, and with a hall that can be used for social gatherings, the Red Deer Lodge is the perfect place to hire for school, tramping, church, youth or family groups, to celebrate family reunions, weddings or birthdays, or even to hold meetings. Built between 1963 and 1965 by the voluntary labour of the Nelson Branch of the New Zealand Deerstalkers Association, it is still owned and used by them. Initially used a base facility for outdoor sports, it still retains its sporting flavour with its big riverstone fireplace and various trophy heads on the walls.
- There is a minimum charge of 10 people for a booking. Groups under 18 years of age MUST have an adult supervisor, while groups of 20 or more children or students must be accompanied by at least 3 adults.
- Numbers must not exceed 28 for overnight accommodation
- Do not touch or hang things from the Trophy Heads or mistreat other heritage items in the lodge.
- No Pets. Non-smoking property. No smoking in property or on grounds.
NOTE: You are expected to: Bring your own bedding (towels/sheets/pillows/duvets/sleeping bags).