The recorded history of the Catholic Church in Richmond goes back to 1856 when the first piece of land was purchased for the building of a church. There were few Catholic families in Richmond at that time and so the land was leased out. Mass was celebrated in family homes until the purchase of a hall in Oxford Street in 1939. Richmond with Stoke, Wakefield, Waimea West and Tapawera became a separate Parish in 1960. The present church of Our Lady of Perpetual Help was opened in 1976. Our community has been well served by both clergy and laity over the years and we look forward to see what God will bring us in the future. The past has been good and we hope and trust that what will come will be even better!
Our Lady Of Perpetual Help