The Nelson Youth Council is a group of twenty diverse young people aged 14-19 who work to make the city a better place for youth and to give young people a voice in Nelson.
We aim to have representatives in every secondary school in the Nelson region, as well as NMIT and community representatives. We meet monthly in the Council Chamber to discuss youth issues, actions and projects we have on the go.
Visit our facebook page for details about Youth Council activities and awesome youth events going on in Nelson.
Some of the Nelson Youth Council’s aims are to:
- Give Nelson youth a real voice
- Discuss and work towards solutions with the Nelson City Council and Nelson youth on issues and projects that concern young people in Nelson
- Bring the needs and concerns of young people to the attention of local and central government
- Assist with Nelson City Council’s planning processes to ensure a youth voice is heard by the Council
- Identify local youth needs and resources (and bring these to attention)
- Provide experience of local government to youth
To carry out these aims we work with Nelson City Council officers and external organisations, such as the electoral office. We make submissions to Council, organise and support youth events. We also run our own projects and initiatives around issues we have found important to young people in the community.