Multicultural Nelson Tasman (MNT) supports the Nelson Tasman community by:
- acting as a voice for ethnic groups within our region.
- providing assistance and orientation for those who are newcomers to Nelson.
- acting as social contact point for ethnic groups.
- representing Nelson Tasman’s ethnic communities
- towards government agencies and non-government agencies when wanting feedback from the community.
- as part of a national ethnic communities organisation that can lobby government and other organisations on behalf of all ethnic communities.
- sharing and understanding other cultures.
- helping to protect ethnic groups against racist behaviour
Goal: UNITY IN DIVERSITY – kotahitanga i roto i te kanorau
Multicultural Nelson Tasman’s VISION is: “People of all ethnicities living happily and in harmony in the Nelson/Tasman region”
MISSION: “To promote, celebrate and strengthen our multicultural communities, supporting newcomers to settle.”
VALUES: Diversity, Acceptance, Participation, Collaboration, Safe Community (Safety), Equality, Understanding
Multicultural Nelson Tasman organises, facilitates and/or delivers events, projects and programmes to strengthen community as well as educate in regards to the benefits of cultural diversity.
MNT collaborates with English Language Partners Nelson and Victory Community Centre through our Community Navigator who assists newcomers to the region with their settling in process by: providing information, putting them in touch with relevant services and helping them to network with others. Visit our website to learn more about our initiatives or pop into our office!
MNT is kindly supported by:
Nelson City Council; Tasman District Council; Rātā Foundation; Department of Internal Affairs through Lottery Grants Board, Ethnic Communities Development Fund, COGS; Pub Charity, Lions Foundation, Mainland Foundation, Creative Communities – Nelson & Tasman, Pitt and Moore.