Māpua Tennis Club provides 2 AstroTurf courts for member use including a small pavilion for shade and 2 asphalt courts open to the public. We have public toilets situated next door to the courts.
We are a small and friendly club with around 90 senior members and 100 junior members.
We offer the following programmes:
- Social tennis – Join a scheduled club event or play on your own.
- Interclub – Nelson Building Society Senior Interclub runs from October through to April each year. There are 11 different grades on offer, geared to cater for all players. You are required to be affiliated to Nelson Bays Tennis Association.
- Cardio Tennis – A group fitness program with tennis drills, games, and skills delivering a full body and calorie burning aerobic and anaerobic workout. Run weekly during term time.
- Love Tennis – A fun, free event for people of all ages who would like to try out or get back into tennis. Run annually.
- Tennis Express – A programme catering for beginner adults taking a ‘serve, rally, score’ approach to learning. The programme is a fun, innovative way of teaching tennis which removes many of the barriers associated with learning the sport. Using low-pressure balls, and focusing on playing the game, adults build confidence as they receive simple technical and tactical advice adapted for each player’s needs.
- Tennis Hot Shots Community Play – An affordable games based programme, designed to deliver an understanding of the skills required for playing tennis, using modified equipment and a supportive environment. The focus is on learning the fundamentals of tennis in a group environment. This gives players a chance to experience tennis before committing to membership or coaching programmes.
- Tennis Hot Shots Coaching – Tennis Hot Shots is the national starter programme for ages 5-12yrs. Using smaller courts, shorter racquets and softer balls means children can play a proper game of tennis from the moment they step on court. Sessions are made up of tactical, technical, fun and social elements which create developmental readiness in children.
- Tennis Hot Shots Tournaments – Tournaments take place over the summer session at various clubs.
- Junior Tournaments – The Junior Spring Open in September and Junior Summer Open in April, run by Nelson Bays Tennis.
- Junior Interclub – A competitive league for various ages and abilities run by Nelson Bays Tennis.